I have co-authored a number of introductory articles and policy recommendations, which can serve as an introduction to the issues in the field.
- Ross Anderson and Tyler Moore. The Economics of Information Security. Science 314 (5799), pp.610-613, October 27, 2006.
- Tyler Moore, Richard Clayton and Ross Anderson. The Economics of Online Crime. Journal of Economic Perspectives 23(3), pp. 3-20, 2009.
- Tyler Moore and Ross Anderson. Economics and Internet Security: a Survey of Recent Analytical, Empirical and Behavioral Research. Harvard Computer Science Technical Report TR-03-11 (to appear as a chapter in the Oxford Handbook of the Digital Economy, 2012)
- Tyler Moore. The Economics of Cybersecurity: Principles and Policy Options. International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection 3 (3-4), pp. 103-117, December 2010. (Based on a report for the US National Academy of Sciences Proceedings of a Workshop on Deterring Cyberattacks, pp. 3-23)
WEIS -- the Workshop on the Economics of Information Security -- has been held annually since 2002. Papers from previous workshops are available online, and provide a good starting point for investigating the state of the art in research.
Workshop research papers
- 2002: Berkeley
- 2003: Maryland
- 2004: Minnesota
- 2005: Harvard
- 2006: Cambridge
- 2007: Carnegie Mellon
- 2008: Dartmouth
- 2009: UCL - Ross Anderson's Liveblog
- 2010: Harvard - Ross Anderson's Liveblog
- 2011: George Mason - Ross Anderson's Liveblog
- 2012: Berlin
Websites of interest
- Ross Anderson's Economics and Security Resource Page
- Larry Gordon's Cybersecurity Risk Management Links
- Alessandro Acquisti's page on the Economics of Privacy
- Jean Camp's Economics of Information Security Bibliography